Thursday 15 November 2012

"Curvy" and plus-sized are two VERY different things!

So this is something that pisses me off beyond belief - the notion that 'curvy' and being 'plus sized' are synonymous. I am telling you right now they are NOT.


Team Curvy: Kardashian and Hendricks

Kim Kardashian is curvy. Kim Kardashian is not plus sized or overweight. Oprah is curvy. Oprah is plus sized, and has been overweight and healthy weight, retaining her curves regardless of her size. Christina Hendricks is curvy, but clearly a bigger size than Kimmie K yet smaller than Queen O, but they are all still curvy. You see what I'm saying?


"Curvy" is having a bust and hips that measure significantly bigger than your waist, and which are obviously larger than your waist to look at. "Curvy" is a shape. Not a size, or a category for anyone who doesn't fall under the category of "super model." It is also independent of age, Helen Mirren at age 63 has rocking curves that I will never have, but that is how she was made.


Brick/Apple shaped Kesha just doesn't
have the same shape as hourglass Kim.

Conversely, I am plus sized, but my hips are, have been, and always will be, smaller than my waist. I am not curvy, but I am plus-sized...for now. Plus sized or not, I have never been curvy, I never will be curvy, it's just not the shape of cookie cutter the universe used when it cut me from the dough.


Kesha is not curvy, when she's thin or not, she's just not curvy because that's not her shape. Just like me. Shailene Woodley is a gorgeous slim girl, but she's also got that athletic build that just doesn't lend itself to curves. Not being curvy doesn't mean we don't have a waist, it just means it's only very slight when compared to our more hourglassy friends.

My point is that "curvy" should not be used as a nice way of saying someone is overweight or plus sized because not everyone who is overweight or plus sized is curvy, and vice verser. How would you feel if you were Blake Lively with your cute little waist and bountiful hips, getting lumped in with a pre-weight loss Dawn French? Wouldn't feel good would it?


So don't do it. Curvy is not another word for plus sized, or overweight, or fat. It means curvy, it is a shape, and a completely separate concept!

xx




No comments:

Post a Comment