Monday 15 October 2012

The Sunday 10: Wardrobe Essentials

So business first, I apologise for being MIA this week, my iron levels have dropped severely so I pretty much slept all week, at least my husband had the week off to look after me, but I'm back now feeling much better and ready to get on with the show!

So this week, 10 wardrobe essentials that everyone needs in their collection. Think of these as your bread and butter. Timeless pieces that can be updated easily through accessories, and that make you feel a million bucks.

10) A quality coat/jacket. Even if you live somewhere you don't see yourself needing a particularly warm coat, trust me you never know. You can make it climate appropriate - maybe a stylish rain coat if you live in Darwin for instance, or maybe even just a light weight linen jacket - or even a cute waistcoat. Make sure the tailoring is perfect, and the shape is right for your body. Shorties should avoid coats past the bum in length if you can, and certainly nothing past the knee, as it will make your legs look even shorter, and will swamp you like you're a child playing in your parents' wardrobe. Top heavy ladies with ample chests should also avoid double breasted jackets and coats, as it adds extra bulk where you don't need it. Instead, opt for a V neck, or lower neckline cut. Gents can't go wrong with a sports coat, but remember, if you're shorter in the body, opt for a single button to lengthen out the torso. Skinny blokes go for those double breasted coats and jackets as they will add padding in the right places, and make you look and feel a bit more masculine.

9) A great bag. I am currently obsessed with my latest bag because I finally feel I've found the holy grail of bags. I can switch out the straps and can have a hobo, bowling, or shoulder bag all out of the one piece, and the best thing of all is that I can clip it onto the handle of the pram! Those Kardashian girls may be obnoxious at times, but they sure are practical! I put the long shoulder strap on for nights out and sling it around my body so I don't have to worry, and it's bling enough for the town but not too bling for day-to-day use. Being black, it will also be easier to work in with the rest of my wardrobe, and will be in vogue much longer than the bright orange version of it that I almost bought! Ladies, I know a hand bag is just as personal a choice as your knickers, but make sure it has everything you need, is good quality, and versatile. Blokes, don't fear the man bag! 

8) The T-Shirt. Everyone needs a T-Shirt. Long sleeved, short sleeved, somewhere in the middle, everyone needs one. The cut of the shirt is extremely important however. Top heavy ladies once again, opt for a lower neckline, and if you're concerned about your waistline, a sleeve that ends at the waistline will have a slimming effect. Make sure you choose a classic colour that compliments your colouring, and if you can find it for a good price - buy a few because you know you'll never see them at that price again!

7) Waist belt. Ladies, a waist belt is a must have in your collection. It can instantly transform your shape, add sophistication if done right, and give you a pop of colour. You can use it to accentuate your curves or create curves, and make a dress that may otherwise be unflattering into a perfect 10. Fellas, you just need a great belt to take you from work to play, something that will go from suit trousers, to jeans. 

6) Sunglasses. Not only should everyone own sunnies for eye protection, but they can be the cherry on top of the perfect outfit sundae. Make sure you chose something versatile, and in a shape that suits your face. Just because aviators might be the cool thing, doesn't mean they're cool on you! I'm a big, round sunnies girl and luckily for me they suit and flatter my heart shaped face. If I put on aviators, or anything square shaped or slim line, I look like an idiot.

5) Comfy flats. Everyone needs a comfy pair of go to shoes - other than your flip flops. They might be a sweet pair of Chuck Taylor's, or the comfiest pair of ballet flats the world has ever known. I once had a pair of dark brown leather sandals that I literally wore the souls out of twice! They met their untimely demise in the jaws of my puppy though, and since then I haven't been able to find anything as comfy. They went with everything, I could take them from work, to uni, then out for a night on the town, and that is what you want out of your comfy flats. Ladies, if you can fit them in your bag when you go out with the girls to slip on at the end of the night when those killer heels are literally killing you, then that's a bonus. 

4) Jeans. Who could live without jeans?  Jeans are a must have item in your wardrobe, and one perfect pair can last a good decade or more! Make sure you choose the right cut and wash - for those who are concerned about "thunder thighs", avoid washes that are lighter at the front and back and darker at the sides. Check out Gok Wan's "Work Your Wardrobe" for the 411 on jeans, and if you're lucky enough to live in the US, you may even find a specialty store where the staff can recommend the right pair just for you.

3) Sexy knickers. What is under it all counts! A sexy bra and pants, or even a bustier under your outfit can give you the confidence boost you need on one of those bad days. Blokes, this might be a particular pair of jocks that you're lady or fella particularly loves on you, or that just make you feel like you could be Magic Mike.

2) Shapewear. I know I've had my beef with it in the past, but I cannot deny that this is essential in your wardrobe. If the foundation of the building isn't right, then the building will look the same! Wear your sexy knickers underneath, or take them with you and go 'freshen up' if you decide to get fresh. Ladies, it can also be a saviour on a big night out if you happen to stack it off those heels, because you won't be pulling a Britney! Boys, a power vest can hold in anything you might be conscious of, and help you feel strong and confident.

1) The Little Black Dress (LBD)/ Suit.  The ultimate. Suitable for everything from work, to weddings, and from a party to a funeral, you cannot go wrong with a great LBD or suit. I wear mine for all of those things, and accessorize according to the ocasion. Stockings and a camisole underneath for a funeral, funky heels and a big necklace for a night out. Blokes, this is where that suit is a must have, and once again, you can change it up using a tie, a fun shirt, even a tee underneath. If you don't have an LBD or suit - go forth and shop! As always though, remember that tailoring and cut is everything.


Next week: My top 10 favourite fashion brands and why


xx

No comments:

Post a Comment