Wednesday 3 October 2012

Recommended Reading: "Through Thick and Thin" by Gok Wan

I just finished reading Gok Wan's autobiography "Through Thick and Thin" and it was such an inspirational, moving, and hilarious read that I just had to share it with you all. For anyone who has struggled with body image, with being overweight, anorexic, or who just plain didn't know what to do with their life, this book is for you. 

It was fascinating to learn how an obese, gay, mixed-race, council estate kid came to be the man to help women all over the world learn to love themselves again. Gok has truly had an amazing life so far, and I could not have read this book at a better time. Not only am I struggling to decide what I really want to do with my life, but I suspect a friend of mine is about to embark on a very difficult journey to regain her health, and now I have an idea of how to help her, and how she might be feeling, and I feel ready and able to give her the support she needs.

If you are worried that maybe your child might be going through something difficult, maybe they are trying to come to terms with their sexuality, maybe you fear they might have an eating disorder, or just plain lack direction in life, I urge you to read this book to get a perspective of what their life might be like.

And if you are a kid who feels lost, shunned, or you just don't know how to deal, Gok's story is sure to lift your spirits and prove that no matter how humble the beginning, or how hard the road, you can still make something of yourself and have a wonderful and fulfilling life.

Through Thick and Thin is available via the Book Depository, along with Gok's other style and cooking books.

No comments:

Post a Comment