Friday 26 October 2012

Day for Daniel 2012

Today of course is Day for Daniel here in Australia, and the first DFD that the Morcombe family has some form of closure regarding their sweet boy. For my international readers who may not be familiar with the story, in December 2003 a boy called Daniel Morcombe was abducted from a bus stop on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. After 8 years of searching and heartache for his family, his remains were finally found in August last year, and a man charged with his murder. His parents, Denise and Bruce have since founded the Daniel Morcombe foundation, which raises awareness for child safety through in school programs, and public events such as Day for Daniel.

I remember the day Daniel was taken very vividly, as I was in the same area at the time. I was the same age as Daniel, and I too was out and about without a parent - in fact I was looking after three younger children as we walked to Sunshine Plaza from the camping ground where we stayed every Christmas. I remember my parents calling me and telling me that my friends' father would come and get us and that we were not to walk home because a boy had been taken. We saw it on the news that night, and I remember looking for Daniel constantly that summer, and many after that. 

Daniel was also a twin, which for me now as a twin parent, makes me think of him all the more often. It was only a few days after my girls were born that his remains were discovered, and I remember looking at them in their crib and promising them that I would protect them from horrible people who look to hurt children.

Daniel's story is a solemn reminder that the world is not as safe as we once thought it was. I wish I could send my kids to the local store by themselves, or not worry about sending them out trick-or-treating, but that is not the world we live in. Unfortunately it took the life of one happy, smiling, loving boy to show us that. Child abduction, and child safety is a real threat, and something to be taken seriously, yet it is important to find the medium between wrapping our children in cotton wool, and protecting them from the dangers of the world. 

The Daniel Morcombe Foundation works tirelessly year round to help us educate our children on safety and risk, and welcome donations no matter how small the amount, to help them in their quest to make a safer, better world for our kids. Please give generously if you can and visit their website to read about all the wonderful initiatives they are currently undertaking in the name of child safety. Bruce and Denise are determined to see a positive outcome from their tragic loss, and through our support they can make it happen.

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment