Sunday 9 September 2012

The Sunday 10: 10 things I love about the empire line

So I feel like I have hardly written anything about fashion lately, and thought I should do a weekly spotlight on one of my favourite art forms. Each week I want to do a Letterman-esque list of my top 10 of the week. It could be 10 things I love about something, 10 things I hate about something, 10 reasons to do or not do something, or just 10 funny things about what happened this week in fashion.

Coming into the warmer months, there is one style that is everyone's best friend: the empire line. No matter if you are big or small, tall or short, blessed in breast or heaped with hips, you just cannot go wrong with this cut! So this week, I bring you 10 things I love about the empire line.


10) You can find it anywhere. Literally, anywhere in the world! From Darwin to Dubai, from St. Petersburg to Buenos Ares, this style will be in a store near you!

9)   It's easy to make yourself if you can't find the exact right pattern or fabric.

8)   It can be brought out for any occasion, formal, casual and anywhere in between.

7)   You can give it any neckline you like, it can be strapless with a straight or sweetheart neckline, it could be a halter, one shouldered, a deep-v, it could even be high collared and styled with a statement necklace for those of less ample chest, but the sky is the limit and I love it!

6)   You can wear it in any season. It doesn't have to be summer, an amazing empire line blouse can be worn with jeans and a great jacket in winter.

5)   It suits women of all ages, and is timeless. There's a reason that the ancients wore it 5,000 years ago, and people are still wearing it now. This style is the definition of timeless, but if you style it correctly it can be so fashion forward people may think you've been for a ride in the Tardis.

4)   It is the best friend of pregnant women everywhere. Nothing will skim over that baby belly yet flatter what are becoming your best assets like an empire line top or dress.

Natalie Portman shows pregnancy can be glamourous 
in an empire line gown at the 2011 Academy Awards. 
She's showing off those new assets and the  fabric 
gently glides over her baby bump.
3) It's comfortable! So many people tell me that they can't wear a style because it's too uncomfortable. To those people I say...EMPIRE LINE! 

2) If done right, it suits and flatters all body types and sizes, and it's SO easy to get right!

1) It will make you feel great in your own skin. The best thing about any empire line style is that no matter if you are having a fat day or not, or if you feel a little bloated or just feel down, you can always put on your empire line dress and look in the mirror and feel good about yourself!


You can even do it with sleeves! The v-neck here 
also divides Melissa McCarthy's chest into 3 sections, 
slimming out her upper torso, while the empire line 
cinches in to accentuate her waist. The aubergine hue is 
perfect for her skin tone and add the statement necklace 
and she's ready to go!
So next time you are feeling flat, or looking for a new addition to your wardrobe, look for the empire line. For those with large breasts, avoid styles that are high in the neckline, by covering your puppies with all that fabric you will make your chest look massive and undo all the hard work this style does to flatter your body. Instead, look for a sweetheart, or v-neck style to flatter and or show off the girls. For those who struggle in the chest department it's more about avoiding making it too well known that there isn't much going on there. Lucky for you girls though, you can pretty much rock any style of this cut with the help of chicken fillets, and even work the deep-v with the help of some hollywood tape. This summer, the statement necklace is still so on trend, and looks great with a messy up do to keep your hair from sticking in unsightly places, perfect for summer. Pair with a few thin bangles and a fringed bag to add a little bohemian charm to your look. This style really is the look for women of all shapes and sizes.


So there you have it, 10 things I love about the empire line, and a couple of quick tips on how to wear it. 


Next week: 10 reasons why suits are sexy (on men and women)

xx

2 comments:

  1. Hi MoJo, planning on adding the empire line to the wardrobe. Already have the chicken fillets though. Can't weight/wait for suits are sexy. Thanks for nominating my blog. Haven't been commenting on anyone's too much lately as it seems exercise and cooking are taking over my life!!!!! Still loving your blog though and read whenever I can. have put yours up there too.
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't regret it! Whenever I'm having a fat day I pull out an empire line dress and I instantly feel better. Thanks for nominating my blog too! I don't comment much on others either but I do read when I can! The cooking and exercise take up so much of my time now too! And now I'm trying to blog more it's getting very hectic!

      Delete