Saturday 8 September 2012

"Ruby"

I was watching Fashion Police the other day and a show came on after it called 'Ruby.' I had no idea what it was about, but I also had no idea where the remote was and my feet were sore from my morning workout, so I thought why not.

This show is about an American woman named Ruby Gettinger from Savannah, Georgia, who used to weigh over 500lbs (226kgs), and who has undergone a complete lifestyle change to lose weight and become healthier and happier. She also doesn't remember anything before she was 13 except her immediate family, and a doctor. Not only has she worked hard to lose weight, now down around 330lbs, but she is trying to remember her past and find out what happened back then that would have made her forget.

I saw this courageous woman walk into a buffet in Mississippi full of deep fried southern food, and make the healthiest choice possible, and then stop at one plate. Her friends and family were so proud of her and you could tell that she was proud she made the right choice. It was hard with everyone around her having fried chicken and chips, but she did it anyway, and she did it for Ruby. They were also able to finally do up her seatbelt without the need for an extension for the first time, and it really put in perspective for me how the little wins always count. It was so moving to see how much such an everyday action could mean so much to someone.

I only wish I had Ruby's will power! I have been completely sucked in to her story and am finding her journey inspirational it's crazy. Her family and friends are so supportive of her and it's just amazing to see what is possible if you truly want it.

Unfortunately her show only airs on Foxtel on the Style channel, so check your listings for those who have access to it, it is well worth a watch. If not, check sites like Sidereel for online streaming.

And to Ruby, wherever you are, go you good thing! You are an inspiration and a great role model for anyone who wants to change their lifestyle for the better, both men and women. Ma'am, I salute you!

No comments:

Post a Comment